Tuesday, September 30, 2008

No Matter What You Do, It's Not Enough

I drive to work in the city and encounter many pedestrians and cyclists. I am a pedestrian myself, once I park my car and head to work. But there's no way to drive and treat a cyclist "right", I've decided.

Case in point: at one intersection, I'm waiting for a left turn light to go green. When it does, a biker in the oncoming lane ignores the red light and crosses in front of me, so I have to wait while he runs the light. No wave or sorry sign. He's just a bike.

Then, I'm turning right on red at Memorial Drive. I have already stopped and let all the pedestrians go, as I should. I wait until a car with the green light passes me. Then, I start to turn. Meanwhile a cyclist going through the intersection (and who I was waiting for) berates me because I'm in the crosswalk and she wants to get on the sidewalk. How am I supposed to know which road/sidewalk surface she wants to ride on? She's shouting at me while I have my window closed. Completely confused, I make a screwy face and cross my eyes. Am I a mind reader?

Ay yai yai.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At Tuesday, September 30, 2008 11:11:00 AM, Blogger Danielle said...

Not to mention, cyclists aren't supposed to ride on the sidewalks.

 
At Tuesday, September 30, 2008 1:45:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

danielle is right. and i find that cyclists and pedestrians have particularly high senses of entitlement on THAT side of the river. ;)

 
At Tuesday, September 30, 2008 2:01:00 PM, Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Never mind being a pedestrian who feels like they're suppose to have eyes in the back of their head for those bikes that speed up behind them on the sidewalk [which bikes are not suppose to be on]. Yet they feel they can be where ever they like to be. They think nothing of weaving in & out between pedestrians in the middle of cross walks.

What ever happened to the law that bikes are to be driven by the rules of the road ... the same one as for cars?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home