Wednesday, October 01, 2008

So, that's why my back hurts! (partly)

I've been noticing when I climb into bed at night to read (at an absurdly early time), things seem more sunken. We have a very old platform bed that I bought in Central Square (Cambridge) years ago in my twenties. It's the same bed we're using now. It's your typical cheap wood-and-fiberboard bed platform that screws together in the middle and you can get drawers that roll under the bed.

On top of the platform rests our foam mattress -- an embarrassingly aged piece of foam if there ever was one. DH has had that since well before I met him (that's 20+ years). We're not big shoppers and tend to live with what we have.

So, this morning after I got out of bed and saw the crater where my body was, I thought something is up. I lifted up the foam mattress and noticed that the fiberboard is tearing and the bed pieces are separating where they are screwed together! Oh my gosh. While I don't think the bed collapsing explains all of my back problems (soreness, sciatica), I would say that this has a lot to do with it.

I told DH it's time for a new, grownup bed. He agreed. But now, I don't know which way to turn. Aside from sleeping at friends' houses or in a bed shop, how does one evaluate mattresses? Should we get a traditional mattress and boxspring? Do we go for one of those memory-foam things that cost a mint? I think I'm actually ready to move on form foam, to be honest. Any advice from readers? And what about a bed frame? Do y'all have a headboard? Has it improved your life tremendously? I keep thinking a headboard would be real nice for reading.

Pics to follow of collapsing bed!

Labels:

5 Comments:

At Thursday, October 02, 2008 10:33:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i bought my first grown up non futon bed which is now the guest bed at Jordan's about 10 years ago. a mattress and box spring and it's still my favorite bed. (the bed i sleep in is joe's and it's not nearly as comfortable in spite of the pillow top, etc.)

anyway, i recommend jordan's and their "sleep technicians." and yes, they wear lab coats. it'll make you giggle.

 
At Thursday, October 02, 2008 3:36:00 PM, Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Yup go get fitted for the right kind of mattress. Actually that's a good idea. I have the memory foam ... and it worth every penny to me. But that's me. (Bob's furniture offers it for less money)

Happy bed hunting!

 
At Monday, October 06, 2008 10:29:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh. They aren't supposed to sink?

 
At Tuesday, October 21, 2008 5:27:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not usually a big advocate of spending more money for something, but let me tell you a story. About 6-and-a-half years ago my husband and I bought a bed and on the same week-end my elderly grandfather-in-law also bought a bed. He paid nearly five times what we paid (ours was on the low end at the store we went to.) When he was no longer using the bed he bough it was brought to our house and put in our guest room, where immediately our guests started commenting on the great bed. Pretty soon we got the hint and switched. Man, there was a difference the first night... and it only got better. So my advice, get the best you can afford!

 
At Thursday, March 15, 2012 12:01:00 PM, Anonymous Darlene Fanning said...

I agree with bethc: purchase the best bed you can afford. Anyway, you will be using it every day so why not give in to a little indulgence? I have heard lots of great reviews about the memory foam -- you may want to check this out. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home