Thursday, December 28, 2006

Happy Holidays and updates

Hello to my 2 or 3 faithful readers (who are not me!).

It's been forever since I blogged. Not due to a lack of knitting I might add, but just general pre-holidays pandemonium. Also, the pictures were always on a camera that was either out of batteries, not with me or DH's camera. But now, I've got my act together and have lots to post.

First of all myself modeling Clapotis:



I'm really, really pleased with how it came out. I was convinced as I did the decreases down to the last stitches that I would find myself a few stitches short and the decrease rows would not be symmetrical. But, miracle of miracles, that did not happens and it's about as symmetrical as Clapotis can get! It's very soft and warm, fun to wear and colorful. Perfect colors (Tuscany colorway) for the holidays. I did have to buy a fourth skein (different dye lot which was darker) to finish it off, so I'm warning y'all about that in case you embark on this project yourselves. Luckily, I was not so worried about the dye lot since it's a big floppy shawl and the dye lot changes are not terribly noticeable. So, that's done!


Moving on....




I gifted a Booga Bag to my lovely niece for Christmas. I actually made this back in the summer and finally attached the I-cord to it hours before she arrived to exchange presents. Nothing like a little procrastination! It's Noro Kureyon, and the color's been discontinued so I can't tell you which one it is!


In progress...


I'm knitting socks in Fortissima Socka Mexico for another niece. Here's the pic:



I love the yarn, which I ordered from Astrid's Dutch Obsessions. She has wonderful sock yarns at reasonable prices. The shipping is pricey, though. Best to do a mass order with a group of people. Lots of fun sock yarns and colorways. So, I've turned the heel on the first sock and need to complete that sock. Then, have to do the second. It was going to be for Christmas, but there wasn't enough time. She has a birthday in April, and I'll have enough time to complete them for her (gasp) 22nd birthday!

Badly Needed Yarn Diet

So, many of us knitters have stashes. Some of us have stashes that are bigger than others. For some reason, over the past 2-3 years, I've gone somewhat wild with my stashbuilding. Never mind having enough work clothes or replacing bras as often as I should. Haven't been doing that. But I sure have been shopping online and in person for yarn in a big way. It's out of control. I have containers and containers of yarn. It's nice yarn and I actually love all of it (like my music collection!), but it's got to stop. We need to get our finances under control and make sure we're saving for college educations and retirement, like most adults with children. Yarn won't pay for four years of college. And, you know it's bad when your 7 year old says, "Mom, you have way too much yarn." Gulp. Yes, I do.

So, let the word go forth, that on this day and for the next year and beyond, I am on a yarn diet . The rules are as follows:

Knit From Your Stash 2007: Guidelines for Kathode, adapted from Wendy's:

1. The Knit-From-Your-Stash-a-Thon will start January 1, 2007 and run through September 30, 2007 -- a period of nine months. I'll try to keep it going beyond September 30.

2. We will not buy any yarn during that period, with the following exceptions:

2.a. If someone asks for a specific knitted gift that we really and truly do not have the yarn for, we may buy yarn to knit that gift.

2.b. If we are knitting something and run out of yarn, we may purchase enough to complete the project.

2.c. We each get one "Get Out of Jail Free" card -- we are each allowed to fall off the wagon one time.

3. We are allowed to receive gifts of yarn.



I have deleted all my bookmarks to Ebay, Webs, and my other fave online retailers. I may need to buy 2 more skeins of Misti Alpaca Chunky to finish a scarf, but that's it! I swear! I'll try to stay honest with this. I really, really need to do it.

To end this ultralong post, here's a photo of the scarf in progress:



This is the Irish Hiking Scarf. It's a very easy knit and pretty. The yarn is soft and wonderful to work with, but a bit splitty. I don't know if this will be a gift or if I'll keep it. We'll see how it goes.

Happy new year to all and I promise more regular posts in 2007! After all, I won't be shopping for yarn and can knit and blog more!

1 Comments:

At Friday, December 29, 2006 9:49:00 AM, Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Hurray ... glad to see you blogging again. And all that knitting going on. I meant to tell you at our SnB party that I love your Clapotis. I have the yarn stashed to make one ... altho I'm worried about having enough. I'm not going on a yarn diet yet ... but plan to knit from my stash anyway. I've GOT to knit me some socks!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home