Monday, January 02, 2006

Multidirectional scarf and classic mittens



I started this multidirectional scarf in Diakeito Diamusee as a way to practice short rows. I have trouble with short rows in the socks I have begun so thought this might be good practice and I love the way the many colors of the yarn shows up diagonally in the scarf pattern. So, it's been going really well! Here's a close up:




I'm loving it and it will be a 25th birthday gift for my niece. Now, instead of something new, here's something old:



This is a pair of mittens bought somewhere in the midwest (probably Wisconsin or Minnesota) on a road trip in 1990, probably at some craft fair. I recall that DH and I stopped in La Crosse to go to the Company Store factory outlet and may have gone other places in La Crosse. The tag says "Estonian Mittens by Chris' mother $19.98". DH found them in a box in our basement. Aren't they amazing? I aspire to such knitting. DH gave me Latvian Mittens by Elizabeth Upitis. I hope to knit something like these in the future.

In the meantime, the multidirectional scarf will do. Happy New Year to all!

2 Comments:

At Monday, January 02, 2006 9:15:00 PM, Blogger FemiKnitMafia said...

Nice job beating down the short row demon. The scarf looks great! And I'd bet that you could make those mittens. There are some really nice kits out that to help you along. Happy New Year!

 
At Tuesday, January 03, 2006 6:02:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your scarf looks great, Kathy!

Those mittens are wonderful and I was surprised how much easier colorwork was than I had imagined in my head. Though I would recommend starting with a hat or something a little larger than a mittern for the first project. I did a mitten and it was a little rough to have all those DPNs there while also trying to float at the right tension. But, it is totally doable!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home