Sunday, May 20, 2007

Moving Along

I've been having tons of fun using Ravelry. It's also forced me to upload more of my knitting photos to Flickr and organize them, so that's a good thing. I've got a few projects in progress up in my Ravelry notebook and more to add, as well as FO's and items in my queue. It's lots of fun. Thanks to Jessica and Casey.

I'm also cleaning up my house in preparation for yard sale over Memorial Day weekend. I'm sure I've mentioned that DH and I are *both* packrats. Two pack rats together = too much stuff. So, we're destashing a lot of our detritus from the past 19 years together (wow, 19 years??), and even from before that! Lots of baby and toddler equipment to divest ourselves of, as well.

And, I am also planning a retirement party for my oldest sister who is making a big change in her life. She has worked for the Commonwealth of Mass. for 34 years, and has a well deserved break coming her way. She has done so much good work over the years -- Welfare Dept, Dept. of Social Services, Child Support Enforcement and Family Court work. All of it tough and all of it so desperately needed. Kudos to you, Mimi. Now, it's time to take care of yourself and have more fun!

To jump on the bandwagon, here are Seven Random Things About Me:

1. I am the youngest of 5 kids.

2. In my young adulthood, I was a complete agoraphobic. Afraid of traveling, afraid of subways, afraid of being afraid. I was a mess. I wanted so much to be part of the world, but felt completely overwhelmed by it. Lots of therapy, medication and years of experience later, I can say that it does get a whole lot better.

3. I love dogs. I love seeing eye dogs. When I worked exclusively with blind people, it was a huge perk to visit people with these great dogs. DH and I adopted a friend's retired seeing eye dog, Alisa. Sadly, she only lived with us a few months before she passed away. She was a sweetheart and served her original owner well.

4. I fantasize a lot about moving to Maine. The older I get and the more entrenched we all become in city living, the further away that dream feels.

5. I want to take a summer off when the kids are older and drive cross country, camping the whole way. DH and I did this years ago for a month, after I finished grad. school. We spent a month on the road and headed west. We spent most of our time in South Dakota, Montana and Wyoming (Badlands, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Glacier National Parks) as well as parks in the Canadian Rockies. Then we had to turn around and head back east, this time through Canada. It's the best time I've ever had. Thirty days straight of camping, often in a different park every night. What a blast. Every summer, I want to quit my job and head west.

6. I love music and took piano lessons as a kid, but didn't enjoy it. As an adult, I tried to take piano lessons again. But I was distracted and didn't practice. I still hope to try one more time and put some effort into it. I also have sung in local choruses and would like to do that again.

7. I always thought of myself as an introvert, but the older I get, I realize that I am quite the talker and socializer. I think I have to thank my late dad, a true Irishman with a gift of gab, for that.


Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At Monday, May 21, 2007 10:49:00 AM, Blogger Danielle said...

Good luck with your yard sale! I feel like I need to take a week of vacation to play with Ravelry :)

 
At Wednesday, May 23, 2007 12:39:00 PM, Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Good luck with the yard sale! I love your meme list. Agoraphobic. Wow, I never would have guessed. I drove with my family cross country when I was young and I dream of doing it for fun someday.

 
At Monday, July 09, 2007 9:23:00 AM, Blogger Jacqueline said...

I wonder...is there any such thing as an Irish introvert?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home