Wednesday, January 25, 2006

One step forward and three steps back...

I am going through a trial ridden period of knitting ADD. This is when I start one project, run into problems, have to frog and reknit, discover another problem, frog and reknit a few times and get frustrated. In my frustration, I get distracted and decide to jump over to another project. This leaves me, ultimately, with about 5 simultaneous projects, none of which are getting anywhere because I've run into problems on all of them! And then I just totally lose focus. So what do I do? I get distracted by the thought of a new project and its possibilities, and then I buy more yarn! This is why my house is full of yarn and WIPs.

This is not unique to my knitting -- my house is messy and full of started projects that aren't finished. But it seems to be best represented in the way that I approach knitting projects. I wish I could be more focused about lots of things in my life and knitting is one of them. I'm think of doing the knitting olympics just so I can make myself focus on one thing! I also get way too ambitious and think I can accomplish lots of projects that aren't realistic.

Combine that with increasing my work hours and the fact that my little one D. who is 3 years old, likes to stay up late, go to bed and get up about 4 times during the evening, and I can't get much done. Aaargh. Any advice from my few readers is appreciated.

Yours in distraction.

3 Comments:

At Wednesday, January 25, 2006 11:49:00 AM, Blogger christine said...

hi kathy - i can empathize! my knit-project style is just like yours, except i dont have the excuse of having a lil' kid running around the house. (just three roommates! heehee.)

despite the fact that i have, oh, 1.. 2.. 3.. or so WIPs hanging out, last night i cast-on for socks (the worst, it seems, since i never finish them). but it was more a therapeutic thing. it was very calm and physical act i could perform in my anguished mood. i think i cast-on for reasons that people eat pints of b+j or imbibe on strong drink.

not to say i dont do either of those other things... :)

but don't worry about it. play around with stuff. one rainy day you will either (1) pick up the needles and work a bit more on it, (2) realise it just needs to sit around some more, (3) or frog it and reinvent it into something that stimulates you now.

anyway, it's not as if our livelihoods depend on our FOs... thank goodness for H+M. enjoy your craft for its purpose of pleasure! :) happy knitting.

 
At Wednesday, January 25, 2006 1:21:00 PM, Blogger FemiKnitMafia said...

1) accept this part of your personality.

or...

2) Hide 4 of your WIPs and your stash. Work on 1 until it's done.

Good luck!

 
At Wednesday, January 25, 2006 1:53:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I don't have the issues with a little one, I can relate to your dilemma.

If a project requires more than minor frogging it often gets put in the corner to think about itself for a *loooong* time, LOL! I almost always end up going back to it though so it isn't so bad. I try to not beat myself up about it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home