Kathode Ray Tube
Knitting. Yarn hoarding. Being a Mom. Jazz. Music. Bugs Bunny. Cooking and eating. And other stuff.
Monday, July 09, 2007
Artyarns Supermerino Pullover
Summer Knits without pics
It's been a while since I've posted. Been working on
- Brown Sheep baseball jacket. This was a WIP for Son #1. I discovered a big mistake in the cardigan front, and ended up frogging the entire thing (had only knitted the front) so I could start afresh. I'm not crazy about the yarn (Encore Chunky in overly-bright red, white and blue) or the pattern (not well written, everything is in columns depending on the yarn type and size). Fortunately, I left the knitting at my sister's house 100 miles away and oh, well -- I'll just have to get to it when I'm next there. Son #1 is chomping at the bit for this sweater, but right now, it's too dang hot to wear it. So, I will get it done for fall.
- That has allowed me to start a new project -- Monkey Socks in Cherry Tree Hill Supersock , African Grey colorway. What fun! I was very intimidated by the pattern at first, but it's not proving to be so hard. It took me forever to cast on. I only know one cast-on (knitted cast on) and I know from past experience that it's too tight for sock cuffs. So, I experimented with a Provisional Cast On. I must have tried this god*$#)@)@ cast-on about 6 times before I just became impatient and gave up. I kept losing stitches when going from the waste yarn to the actual yarn. I was going crazy. I finally just did a long tail cast-on and got it after a few tries. I was convinced that the socks were never going to take form, thanks to my casting on problems! But finally, I began to see results. Of course, when I have time to blog, I never have my camera nearby, so I promise to upload photos later.
- I got lots of knitting done watching Wimbledon. I neglected my children and housework, while I knit and watched the amazing Federer-Nadal final match. All 4.5 hours of it. Who cares if it's a nice day? There's tennis on TV! And how about that amazing Venus Williams??!? If Venus and Serena lived in another country that valued tennis more, they would be royalty. They already are to me.
- Of course, once I finish the Monkey socks, it's time to start some Jaywalkers! I'm always behind the times.
- Finished Son#2's Artyarns Supermerino hooded sweater. Looks great, he won't wear it (too hot these days). It wasn't a bad knit at all and fun to do a top-down sweater. But, I did end up with these big gaps under the arms when picking up the stitches for the arms and I'm not quite sure what I did wrong. I did do some extra stitching in the sewing up to make sure nothing gives way. Any advice appreciated.
Hope everyone's summers are going well. It's been a busy one, despite my part-time work status. There always seems to be stuff to do. Sons are in various summer camps, lots going on family-wise (sister retired from her job, f-i-l, sadly, passed away in June) and I am living for vacation in Maine in August.
Pictures later, promise!